There are many options and providers who you can use to create and manage your website, so it is paramount that you decide what you want your website to do and what budget you have before sourcing and building your website.
How can you create a website?
- Use a hosting site - There are various companies out there who offer an off-the-shelf e-business store, including website hosting, domain name registration, shopping cart software and even website design. These packages are offered by many shopping cart providers and specialist e-business solution providers and are a good place to start if you have a small amount of technical knowledge but want to build the site yourself.
- Build the site yourself - if you have website building software such as: Adobe Dreamweaver and the skills to use this tool then you could build the site yourself. This allows you the flexibility to build the site to your own specifications and timescale, and allows you to keep full control of the project.
- Use a professional - if you have limited technical experience with building websites then it is much easier to use a professional website developer. These vary from one man designers to large companies and can set up and manage your website. Research the costs of using a web developer as these vary greatly and ensure you know what you will be getting before committing.
Key tips if you are using a developer
- Look for a web developer who has experience of building e-business stores and make sure you look at their previous work and whether this is the kind of style and design you like.
- As you will need to update your site regularly make sure you know whether the developer will be updating this for you or whether you will have access to do it yourself? If your developer will be making content changes for you going forward make sure you agree a cost structure depending upon the frequency and amount of changes.
- Make sure you get a written contract from the developer before any work is started to ensure the ownership of all the work and content is transferred over to you once the website is completed. Also be aware that this may incur an extra fee.